Wednesday, September 2, 2009

From IT Exec to Chocolatier - MORE Magazine



"I smile all the time now, with my DOVE CHOCOLATE DISCOVERIES business!"
Proshots Event Photography

In November 2007, I found myself out of work and out of love with corporate America. My IT project management job was eliminated and looking back, a good portion of my self-confidence went with it – or so I thought. I had been active in the workforce for over 20 years and had already been through my share of layoffs. Finding a new job is always a daunting task and I was not looking forward to starting off on the bottom rung of the ladder again considering I was now 38 years old.

Given the job market in my area, I knew the search would be even tougher and more competitive. I would likely take a pay cut from my previous salary and experience a decrease in benefits. Taking all that into account, I suddenly knew I no longer wanted to work for anyone but myself. But what could I do from my home that wouldn’t bankrupt my family? My requirements were flexibility, helping others, and a fun environment. Previously, I had done some direct selling and decided to give it another go since it fit my basic requirements. Having narrowed my scope to direct selling, I added a few additional requirements – the company had to be relatively new, therefore having less competition, and have a product I would love.

With this list of requirements, in May 2008 I went on an Internet search for direct selling companies. I came upon several that I had heard of and seen for years – very successful, established companies -- which were exactly the one’s I had decided to steer away from. I happened along others that sold products I did not care about. Then one day, I found it. An Independent Chocolatier the page read – what? Chocolate? Oh, yes – THAT – I can be passionate about! I had found DOVE CHOCOLATE DISCOVERIES ™ and knew I was home. While I told my husband that I would simply find out a little more about it, I knew the second I saw it the search for my new career was over.

I did some research and found that I would be doing Chocolate Tasting Parties in my hosts’ homes. For each party, my host would provide a guest list and we would decide on a menu where she provides the regular ingredients and I provide the chocolate components. For example, she might choose the Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Pizza and Chocolate Martinis. I would lead the guests on a discovery of various ways chocolate can be used (sampling along the way) and they would place their orders. My host would earn rewards based upon the party sales and I would earn a commission. Most importantly, I would book parties around my schedule and recruit/build a team of others with a goal of assisting them in starting their own successful businesses.

On June 23, 2008 I became an Independent Chocolatier and an extremely nervous entrepreneur. I now had to prove that I could make it on my own without a corporate America gig. I prayed that this move would be what I had been seeking in the job search - which, now that I reflect back on it, I realize I had actually been seeking for several years. I had come to realize that my life during the years I had worked for others had been stressful and filled with long hours for little, if indeed any, reward. I was yearning for the chance to prove myself and be recognized for my efforts. Now that I had hired myself, there was no one in my way besides for me.

When I first started doing my parties, I doubted every single thing I did. I actually had a horrible meltdown right before my first party. Thanks to the encouragement and assistance I received from my family, I managed to find the courage to move forward and not give up before I gained any momentum. At my first party I fumbled around a lot, used my note cards to remind me of what to say, and wasn’t able to answer a lot of the questions the guests asked me. But still, at the end of the night everyone was happy, I made $75, and I had two more parties booked – yes!

As the weeks and months went by, I partied quite a bit and found myself with a growing team. I was being recognized for my sales and recruiting. I traveled to Chicago to give a talk on booking parties. I earned an all-expense paid trip to Chocolate School – yes, Virginia, there is a Chocolate School run by Mars Snackfood US. I earned additional bonuses and incentives along the way and, at the national conference in August 2009, I marched across the awards stage so many times it was as if I were dreaming. I was awarded #1 in number of parties, #4 in sales, #5 in recruiting, and the topper for me – I was selected to become a member of the Advisory Panel. All of the goals I set for the year had been achieved and I remain amazed at what I was able to accomplish in such a short time. I realized that, while the effort on my part had been tremendous, the recognition and rewards I received as a result of my efforts were even more rewarding and liberating.

Personally, I am busier than ever and so much happier than I was when I worked in corporate America. I have the flexibility to plan around my family’s schedule, which gives me significantly more quality time with those I love. My circle of friends has grown and I have more support and encouragement than any corporate job could ever provide. I find myself being open to many more new experiences and opportunities because of the success I have found with my business. The personal and professional areas of my life complement each other and I wholeheartedly enjoy both on a daily basis. And finally, I realize that my newfound ability to help others grow and achieve their goals through my business gives me the utmost joy.

When I lost my IT job, it truly felt like my self-confidence had received the pink slip. However, over the past 14 months, I rediscovered my confidence and found that it was always within me – I just had to give it a way to shine. I once thought that managing complex IT projects was what made me valuable but now I know that I provide value in so many ways to so many people. Today I do this through my love of chocolate, tomorrow – who knows? Life truly is a box of chocolates, but it’s what you choose to do and how you react that determines what you’ll get.

http://www.more.com/2009/7850-from-it-exec-to-chocolatier/3

No comments:

Post a Comment